I don’t buy or eat a lot of meat. When I do, I’ll buy a small, organic chicken that my husband, daughter and I can get three meals out of. For the first meal, we’ll have a roast chicken dinner (with potatoes, veg, gravy and all that good stuff) and eat half the chicken. For the second meal, with the left-over chicken, we’ll make a big chicken salad, pasta, stir-fry or lettuce wraps. And finally, for the third meal, I’ll boil down the carcass and make a big Asian-style soup. By doing this, the chicken has now fed 2.5 people for three nights, and for me, eating meat is an easier concept to “swallow” when I know that there has been no waste.
Ginger Chicken Wraps
One of our favorite meals is Ginger Chicken Lettuce Wraps (phase two of chicken-eating)—it’s just such a flavourful, gluten-free dish. In addition to the chicken, I also pack the lettuce wraps with various sautéed veggies. Like all the meals that I make, these are easily alterable–use what you like or have on hand. Switch up the veggies, use ground turkey, or no meat at all! Skies the limit with these guys, so get creative.
Ginger Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Asian-style lettuce wraps, gluten-free and packed with veggies!
- 6-8 Lettuce Leafs *read the recipe notes below
- 2 Cup Cooked Chicken Chopped
- 1 Carrot Diced
- 1 Celery Stalk Diced
- 1/2 of a Red Pepper Diced
- 1/2 of a Zucchini Diced
- 10 Small, White or Brown Mushrooms Diced
- 1/2 of a White or Red Onion Diced
- 1/4 Cup Water Cold
- 2 Tsp Arrow Root Powder or Cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Homemade Ketchup Recipe under
- 1.5 Tbsp Fresh Garlic Minced (about 2-3 cloves)
- 1.5 Tbsp Fresh Ginger Minced
- 1 Tsp Honey
- 1 Tsp Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Sesame Oil
- 1-2 Tsp Hot Chili Sauce Optional
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce Optional: I don’t buy this anymore because of the questionable ingredients, but you have some around that you’d like to use up, then throw in a tablespoon for an authentic, asian taste.