Mason jars aren’t just for canning foods – they make a great way to pack a go-to salad for lunch! These 5 mason jar salads will be just what you need to kick your lunch (and health) up a notch.
Mason Jar Salads
The first thing you need to know is how to pack a mason jar salad:
1) Bottom – wet ingredients (aka. salad dressing)
2) Heavy ingredients that hold up well next to wet ingredients – nuts, beans, seeds, corn, cucumber, celery, radishes, etc.
3) Lighter ingredients like quinoa, tomato, avocado, fruit, etc.
4) Accent items like raisins, dried cranberries, dates, etc.
5) Leafy greens – pack them in! You want most of your mason jar to be packed full of leafy greens, herbs, and sprouts. This is the last ingredient that goes on top, so that when you turn the mason jar upside down (into a bowl, that is), you will have a bed of salad greens and all the fixings and salad dressing poured on top!
This brilliant idea has been circulating for a few years now, but they have become increasingly popular, especially with more people becoming health-conscious.
Below are my 5 top picks for healthy mason jar salads you can bring on the go, so you won’t be tempted by anything lurking in fast food restaurants or the cafeteria at work or school.
#1 – Tropical Mango Greens
1. Dressing – blend 1 mango, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 tbsp. chive, pinch of cumin and cayenne
2. Cucumber and celery, diced
3. Diced mango
4. Chopped dates
5. Arugula and red leaf lettuce
#2 – Apple Walnut Harvest Salad
1. Dressing – whisk 2 tsp. cold-pressed hemp oil, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. almond butter, 1 tsp. maple syrup
2. Walnuts, celery and radish (all diced)
3. Diced apple
4. Chopped dates
5. Romaine and mixed leafy greens